Breakfast with the FBI: Protecting Your Technology from Overseas Theft and Avoiding Export Controls Violations
October 26, 2017 8:00 am - 11:30 am
REGISTER FOR EVENT HERE
(Choose October Date)
MITA has provided resources and education for the International business community for nearly 50 years. This is your opportunity to learn more about how to avoid doing business with overseas terrorists and how U.S. companies can protect their intellectual property from theft by overseas competitors. Join us on October 26th to hear first-hand about the services that the FBI offers to help protect your company as you do business internationally.
Agent Georgi (FBI)
Special Agent Robert Georgi, from the FBI’s Omaha field office, will screen two educational videos detailing real-life investigations previously conducted by the FBI: “Made in America” (which deals with a company making unintentional sales of restricted items into a foreign country) and “The Company Man” (which deals with foreign powers’ attempts to steal production technology from an American company). Agent Georgi will also give a presentation to discuss how companies can mitigate their exposure to export control violations, industries which are most at risk for economic espionage and techniques that companies can use to reduce the risk of being victimized by economic espionage.
Grant Leach (Husch Blackwell)
Grant Leach, an attorney at the law firm of Husch Blackwell LLP, will give a short presentation on the following:
- Conducting a risk-based analysis to determine what sort of compliance practices your organization should establish in order to comply with export controls.
- Best practices in spotting and responding to red flags in order to prevent export controls violations.
- Self-reporting of export controls violations in order to either avoid enforcement penalties or obtain maximum cooperative credit.
Mindi Giftos (Husch Blackwell)
Mindi Giftos, a partner at the law firm of Husch Blackwell LLP, will give a short presentation on the following:
- A brief summary of the legal risks associated with data breaches.
- Discussion of best practices to prevent data breach.
- Discussion of best practices in responding to a data breach when/if one occurs.
For more information, CLICK HERE!